With an innovative and cost-effective approach, WAO has been developed using de-identified, linked, routinely collected asthma-related data in Wales.
These data contain information on primary and secondary care delivered to asthma patients as well as demographic and socioeconomic data.
Currently, WAO includes the following asthma-related variables:
- asthma diagnosis date and age
- asthma-related signs and symptoms
- asthma patient monitoring events
- asthma diagnostic tests
- asthma severity
- asthma attacks/exacerbations
- asthma prescriptions
- asthma-related referrals
- asthma emergency visits
- asthma hospitalisations (admission and discharge dates)
The WAO is hosted in the SAIL Databank at Swansea University